Sunday, January 6, 2008

Names

I think a lot about names. Cool names, bad ass names, boring names (pete smith), pretty names, etc. Jan often asks me "you though of any new names yet", for the expected baby that is. So I spend a fair amount of time thinking about names, the meaning of names and trying to analyze whose name means what to me. My mind often wanders to cycling though... Who has the best name in cycling? Boonen is pretty cool. They've given him a cool nick name, "boom boom boonen". Sven Nys is quintessentially Belgian (congrats to him on his 5th national championship) which in itself rules! Matt Roy. Two first names... Then there's the super-hero of cyclocross, Jeremy Powers. Oh, and the apropos Johnny Bold. The best nick name is probably "stanimal". "friggin' diarrhea" (Dario Frigo), Mario Cipollini's name is great due to his flamboyant personality. Michael Boogerd aka "boogie"... ewe! Bobby "Youlick" Julich. "Popthebitch" you know Yaroslav? Marco Velo, translates to "Mark Bike"! Riccardo Ricco (suave). And who can forget Dick Ring? 'nough said.

But I must say, my favorite cycling name is Lars Boom... No nickname needed. He's a bad ass cross racer, has history with mullets, and just won the Netherlands Nationals...

No comments: